Thursday, August 4, 2011

Review # 14: Nevermore by Kelly Creagh

Description: (From book jacket)

     "And the raven, never flitting, still is sitting, still is sitting On the pallid bust of Pallas just above my chamber door;
And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming,
And the lamp-light o'er him streaming throws his shadow on the floor;
And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor

Shall be lifted - nevermore!
-- from "The Raven" by Edgar Allan Poe
    
     At once an homage to one of America's greatest writers and a page-turning psychological mystery that is equal parts horror, humor, and romance, NEVERMORE is the story of Varen -- a Poe-fan and goth -- and Isobel -- a cheerleader and unlikely heroine. When a Lit. project pairs the two together, Isobel finds herself steadily swept into Varen's world, one that he has created in his notebook and in his mind, one where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life. Isobel slowly learns that dreams can be much more powerful than she'd ever expected, and that pain and despair come in all shades. As labels of "goth" and "cheerleader" fade away, she sees more in Varen than a tall, pale outcast, and a consuming romance is braced against the ever-clearer horror that the most terrifying realities are those within our own minds.
When Isobel has a single chance to rescue Varen from the shadows of his own nightmares, will she be able to save him -- and herself?"
Review:
     Being from Baltimore, the resting place of Edgar Allan Poe, I was intrigued to find this novel at my local library. The side summary seemed interesting, so I thought I would give it a try; and I am so glad I did. Kelly Creagh wrote an excellent novel with beautiful imagery, fully developed characters, a five-star plot, and an ending that had me on edge until I reached a blank white page. I expect that there has to be a sequel to this novel because its abrupt cliff-hanger of an ending left me wanting. Fully recommended! 

Rating: On the Run (4/5)

No comments:

Post a Comment